- 1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2.Place carrots in a large bowl and drizzle one tablespoon of the olive oil over the top. Toss to coat and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss again. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake, stirring/flipping every 15 minutes or so, until tender and browned in spots, about 40 minutes total. Remove from oven and let cool a bit.
- 3.While the carrots are cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until just beginning to brown, about 8 - 10 minutes. Add the ginger and the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for five minutes until ginger is tender. Remove from heat.
- 4.When both the roasted carrots and the broth have cooled somewhat, add the carrots to the broth. Working with a blender in batches, puree the soup and return it to the pot; or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. Please make sure your soup has cooled enough to safely puree!
- 5.Place pureed soup over medium heat and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir in the heavy whipping cream or coconut milk. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
No reviews for this Repice
- 6 cups baby carrots or approx. 6 large or 12 small-medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 pounds of carrots)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger (peeled and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or, for a vegan version, use full-fat canned coconut milk)